L’arche Calgary is hiring position of Live in Assistant
PEOPLE WITH DIFFERING ABILITIES TRANSFORMING LIVES, TRANSFORMING SOCIETY
We welcome Assistants to live, work, and learn together with men and women with intellectual disabilities in our communities across Canada. L’Arche Calgary strives to shape a more human and just society by offering people of different abilities a life changing experience of companionship, community, belonging, faith and fun.
“Live-In Assistant” Role Description:
Assistant teams support core members (adults with intellectual disabilities) by sharing in their daily life. We cook and eat dinner together, get together with friends, participate in activities in our neighbourhoods, go on vacation together, and celebrate often.
Through friendship and relationships with Core Members, Assistants gain valuable life skills, opportunities for personal growth and self direction, as well as enhanced leadership abilities.
More than a job, we offer an exceptional and life changing adventure in friendship and self-discovery.
Schedule and Responsibilities:
This is a live-in position somewhat comparable to being a counselor at an overnight summer camp in that Assistants are responsible for supporting Core Members throughout the entire day as well as overnight as needed. Assistants receive at least two hours of personal time each day, as well as two days off per week. (This is simply a time away from responsibilities – Assistants may stay in the house as they like during this time.)
Daily rhythm and responsibilities are much like in any household where members of the household require personal care support:
- Assisting Core Members with their morning and evening routines
- Assisting with bathing and using the toilet as needed
- Supporting Core Members in following the direction of medical professionals including administering medication
- Cooking & cleaning
- Grocery shopping
- Yard work as required
More importantly Assistants have the responsibility of building community by spending time getting to know people in the home, participating in the spiritual life of the home and community, sharing activities together, and learning about themselves and others as they discover that they can just be themselves and be valued and appreciated for who they are.
- Each year L’Arche hires over 200 new Assistants to live and work in 28 communities across Canada
- All new Assistants participate in the L’Arche Leadership Development Program
- Many Assistants choose to stay at L’Arche for one or two years. There are also opportunities for longer term roles in leadership across the country
- There are opportunities to transfer to one of 154 L’Arche communities in 38 countries around the world
- Compensation and Benefits are provided. Assistant Roles are Full-Time.
- We hire people from a wide variety of educational backgrounds.
- We are looking for people with an open attitude, ability to work as part of team, a desire to grow, and who want to make a meaningful difference in the world
- Personal traits of creativity, flexibility, attention to detail, and ability to organize time and carry responsibility are important for the role of Assistant.
- Opportunities available in either English or French
- We will provide training for First Aid & CPR, Medication Administration, Crisis Prevention and Intervention, as well as orientation to specific personal care routines & disabilities. Formation in relationship building, vision and mission is provided through the L’Arche Leadership Development Program.
- Pre-employment requirements: Criminal reference check (vulnerable sector)
How to Apply:
Please submit CV or Resume to email@example.com
Start Date: As soon as possible